Our modern way of thinking is a huge issue with me. For instance, Google, god bless it, it has its' place (once again with the blog and all) but I really believe that the internet under most circumstances is making us dumber and more socially incompetent than ever before. No one seems to commit any information to memory anymore because it's all "Google-able." I cannot say how often I hear someone say, "Google it," in everyday situations and someone whips out their smart phone and finds the answer amongst 100,000 possible answers. I mean whatever happened to a true quest for knowledge? Today we are pulled in so many directions due to the sheer amount of information we have access to--wanna be a "scientist" then google how to buy chemicals and some lame ass instructions and go ahead and light your kitchen on fire and you'll have only you to blame. What about being a self diagnosing MD? Look up your symptoms and lo and behold a million other people have them to so find the scariest thing and get all worked up about it but God forbid you find a decent doctor to tell you it's just a vitamin deficiency. Just tell that doctor that surely you have such and such disease and demand to be treated for it because that one web quiz was completely viable.
Another modern convenience that is becoming just downright sad-Social media. I mean really we have to go online to find friends now? What if we spent half the time we spend sitting, staring at sites like facebook or dating sites actually seeking out HUMAN interaction? That's just crazy talk right? I am so tired of hearing, "Oh, I saw that on your status," or "Did you see his/her post?" Do we really need to know that much about each other? Every person's random thought or stupid post about their potty training ventures really don't need to be shared with the thousand friends they have. It's honestly not that damn important. Having a platform to get a message across is one thing but to use it shamelessly to promote your popularity or your dinner menu is kind of ridiculous. Social media provides a cold, sterile atmosphere where no one really has to be accountable for what they say. So you're pissed at someone, I don't need to know that, go tell them and either hug it out or bury that shit. So you got into some small town drama, who cares. If you looked at your friends list and deleted the people that really don't matter to you, who would be left? Accepting those random people that you kind of remember doesn't make you special, chances are they only kind of remember you, too. Close the laptop, take your mp3 player out of your ears, put the phone in your pocket and try having a conversation, forge a real bond and then to make it truly a viable experience don't post the experience later for all of the world to see.
Just one more before I go. The modern consumer. We all talk about going green. Seriously, does buying that bag made from canvas with a little bird and tree on gonna save the planet? Chances are it'll just end up in a landfill one day, too. The true issue with going green is that no one ever seems to point out that it's really about anti-consumerism. Quit buying stuff. Use what you have, trade for what you need. Use community as a source. If you're a good gardener but need some blankets trade food goods for quilting. Their are so many people out there that are amazing at something, problem is that we have access to them all, so we aren't helping people locally. Really look at green crafts some time. Look at the "ingredients" list, most of that stuff is new. Just because it's tagged upcycled doesn't mean that someone didn't just use a couple strips of magazine or an old pillowcase along with 10 brand spanking new objects. The goal of going green is to NOT buy new stuff, to look at the world and say that we have made enough trash, not to go out and buy stuff that is made from recyclables and then throw out all the tainted stuff you own.
And as a goodbye, a little about me. I am a wife and mother of four. I went from having 1 kid to four in less than a year. I am a crafty person that upcycles and uses new stuff. I have a facebook and I google just about everything. I'm not only saying that something is wrong with you, I'm saying something is wrong with me, too. I think that we all have to examine ourselves and ask what on earth are we doing with our lives, if buying crap, posting crap and googling crap is all we do, does that make our life a little too heavy on the CRAP side of things?
No comments:
Post a Comment